Galaxidi Historical Reference
Galaxidi is a maritime city in the Krissaian Gulf and its landscape reminds you of past seasons. The city has a history of 4000 years, but it was in the beginning of the 18th century that it became famous due to its relationship with shipping. The people of Galaxidi started constructing merchant and passenger vessels at the city’s small shipyards and later on they traveled by those vessels in the Mediterranean Sea. The sailing-vessels of Galaxidi had been dominant for many decades in the field of maritime transport. Consequently, in 1815 Galaxidi was the fourth most important port of Greece, concerning its maritime and merchant activity. There was also a Maritime School founded in Galaxidi which had exceptional teachers.
After the maritime glory, it is the glory of the city that follows. Due to the wealth that was the result of the maritime activities, the people of Galaxidi have the ability to embellish their city by constructing buildings and cultural monuments. These mansions still exist nowadays and they are an attraction for the hundreds of visitors who arrive to admire this little city.
Excursions around Galaxidi
Galaxidi is an ideal destination for holidays during the whole year and it is just 200 kilometers away from Athens and 90 kilometers away from Patras. Setting off from Galaxidi you can visit Delphi, Arachova and Nafpaktos and enjoy marvelous trips in the nature. To enjoy the panoramic view of Galaxidi you have to direct onwards to “Sotiras Monastery”- the view will leave you breathless. You can walk around through the cedars and the fir-trees at the mountainous villages of the prefecture which combines the mountains with the sea, and the antiquities with the byzantine monasteries.
During the period of the Carnival festivities and especially on Shrove Monday you will have great moments of entertainment the highlight of which is the custom of “the flour fight” that takes place in Galaxidi.
Moreover, during the whole year many happenings for young children and adults as well take place.
We invite you to the magical city!!!
In order to discover Galaxidi you have to walk at the seaside and admire the old mansions, and wander around the alleys which are full of colorful surprises.
- In the church of Saint Nikolaos you will have the opportunity to admire the woodcut iconostasis which is of rare beauty.
- In the church of Saint Paraskevi, on the floor, you can admire the carved representation of the Heliotrope and Zodiac Ring.
- In the Maritime Museum there are many remarkable exhibits and a rare collection of stamps and maritime documents.
- The Folklore Museum, which is of equal importance, is housed in “Angeli Mansion”
- The old Girl’s School (in Greek known as Parthenagogion)
- The Monastery dedicated to the Transfiguration of Jesus Christ.
- Walk at the area of Pera Panta, at the port, and enjoy the view of Galaxidi.